Newly Designed Pan Cards Effective From January 2017
Distributions of the newly designed cards have been started from January 1 and are being issued to the new applicants. Old cardholders can also apply for the new one.
The government of India is issuing newly designed PAN Cards – Permanent Account Numbers cards to the Indian Citizens. The distributions got effective from 1st January 2017.
According to the information confirmed by the income tax department, the new design of PAN card is loaded with several security features and are being printed by NSDL and UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Ltd). There are also few changes that are noticeable on the new PAN card. And, these new cards will be issued to the new applicants; however, new cardholders can apply for it. To know about the changes, features, and design of the new PAN card, you can take a look at the points below:
There are specifically three changes in the new PAN card:
- Quick Response (QR) code with the details of the PAN applicant is printed on PAN card for enabling verification of the card.
- Legends are incorporated for particulars Name, Father’s Name, and Date of Birth fields.
- The position of PAN & signature has been changed.
New Design of PAN Card have some added features like:
- As per senior Income Tax officials, contents of the new PAN Card are both in Hindi and English.
- By following the Government’s Rajbhasha Policy, PAN Cards are made bilingual where the headers are in English and Hindi.
Below is the sample of the new design of PAN Card:
In the new PAN Card, you can witness the 10 digits of PAN number that can be divided into five parts as can be seen below:
The meaning of each number has been explained further.
- First three characters are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ
- The 4th character of PAN Card represents the status of the PAN holder.
C — Company
P — Person
H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
F — Firm
A — Association of Persons (AOP)
T — AOP (Trust)
B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
L — Local Authority
J — Artificial Juridical Person
G — Government
- The fifth character represents a 1st character of the PAN holder’s last name/surname.
- Next four characters are sequential number running from 0001 to 9999.
- The last character in the PAN Card is an alphabetic check digit.