What is TAN Card?
TAN Card is a 10-digit alphanumeric number required for deducting or collecting the tax. TAN stands for Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number.
TAN number is allocated by the Income Tax Department of India. It is a piece of mandatory information quoted on all TDS returns.
Without TAN Card, TIN facilitation centres will not accept Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) or Tax Collected at Source (TCS) returns. Failing to quote the 10-digit alphanumeric TAN Card number in TDS/TCS returns, e-TDS/e-TCS returns, TDS/TCS certificates and TDS/TCS payment challans can levy a fine of Rs.10,000 on an individual.
Who needs to apply for TAN Card number?
The 10-digit alphanumeric TAN Card is mandatory for all those who deduct or collect tax at source on behalf of the Income Tax Department.
How to apply of TAN Card?
To apply for a new TAN card an individual can do it either by applying online or by visiting any of the TIN facilitation centres of National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
Below are the steps to apply for TAN Card number online:
- Visit the official website of the Tax Information Network. Here is the link of the website: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/index.html
- Under the Servies tab, select ‘TAN’ from the dropdown. To go the page directly, click on the link below.
- On the TAN page, click on ‘Apply Online’
- From the dropdown, select ‘New TAN’. You will be directed to Online Application for TAN (Form 49B) page.
- Scroll down to select ‘Category of Deductors’ select the appropriate option from the dropdown and click ‘Select’.
- You will be redirected to Form 49B for your respective selection.
- Fill in all the required details and click ‘Submit’.
- An acknowledgement screen will appear displaying the following details
- A 14-digit acknowledgement number
- Status of the applicant
- Name of the applicant
- Contact details
- Payment details
- Space of signature
- Save the acknowledgement and get a printout of it
- The printout of the acknowledgement along with other documents is required to be sent to NSDL on the following address:
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited
5th floor, Mantri Sterling
Plot No.341, Survey No.997/98,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk
Pune – 411016
To apply offline for TAN Card number, the applicant is required to visit their nearest TIN facilitation centres and TAN Card Form.
TAN Card Application Processing Fee
For issuance of new TAN and for change or correction in TAN data for TAN allotted is Rs.65 (Rs.55 application charge + 18% Goods and Services TAX).
How to check TAN Card Status?
To check TAN Card Status, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the Tax Information Network. https://www.tin-nsdl.com/index.html
- Under the Servies tab, select ‘TAN’ from the dropdown. https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/tan/tan-introduction.html
- On the TAN page, click on ‘Know Status of Your Application’
- Select ‘Application Type’
- Provide the ‘Acknowledgement Number’
- Enter the captcha code
- Click ‘Submit’
The screen will display the TAN Card Status.
The status of the application can also be checked by calling on 020 – 27218080 or by sending an SMS to 57575 typing ‘NSDLTAN’.